Apr 16, 2013

The Truth of the Matter


After yesterday's bombing attacks at the Boston Marathon, one of the men who ran the race said he and a friend would try to see some of Boston, agreeing that they did not want the bombings to change their lives. “If you change your life, they win,” he said.

I've read some version of that sentiment in other contexts, usually following a terrorist attack in Israel, and it doesn't sit well with me.  Life should go on as usual when evil people seek to kill you?! It seems the epitome of irresponsibility and insensitivity to continue as though nothing happened.  If the attack was perpetrated by an enemy, it's an act of war and who can live life as normal in a war zone?

Maybe it would be more honest to say, my plans included touring Boston and although it's sad that people have been killed and maimed, canceling my plans won't help them.  Isn't it more about what I feel like doing today than about winning versus losing?

No comments:

Post a Comment