Nov 20, 2016

Gam Zu L'Tova

 
When you learn with someone who did not have a Jewish education, everything is new to them.  All the stories you heard a hundred times are new for them. 
 
One night, I told my learning partner the story of Nachum Ish Gamzu as related in the Gemara, how the jewels he was bringing to the emperor were exchanged for dirt by the thief of an innkeeper, and how it miraculously worked out for the best, gam zu l'tova.
 
The next day, I left the house and was a block away when I remembered that I left something important at home.  I said, "This is not good." I continued on my way, hoping I'd manage without it.
 
It later occurred to me that saying, "This is not good" is the antithesis of "gam zu l'tova." Not only do I know about gam zu l'tova, I had taught about it the night before! So I told the person I had said it to, "I need to make a correction.  I said, "This is not good, when I should have said gam zu l'tova."
 
We know lots of things but when it comes to integration, internalization, and what is instinctive to us, that's another story!

No comments:

Post a Comment