Apr 27, 2012

All About Me



Aish is running a series on the Six Constant Mitzvos again.  This is the second year that one can subscribe to it during sefira.  It's a great idea to bring these mitzvos to people's attention and I read the emails and watch the videos. 

However, I am finding the angle they are using this year jarring.  In the desire to make this topic interesting and relevant and different than last year, these mitzvos are presented from the perspective of "how can I use them every single day to be more successful in everything that I do in my life."  In other words, they are taking the mitzvos that focus our attention on G-d, and twisting them into a focus on self!

1 comment:

  1. I smell a marketing gimmick. Unfortunately, frum people are looking to un-ghettoize. They want to be the frum versions of whatever exists out there. The world is focused on the self and most people in the world have very little connection to G-d. I see other popular-with-the-masses rabbis who dangle the carrot before the horse in order to easy sell mitzvas. To me, telling people to give tzedukah in order to become rich, falls into that category. Hashem rewards good behavior but that is not why we give tzedukah.

    ReplyDelete