Feb 4, 2012

Machsom L'Fi


I was asked to be part of a "Machsom L'Fi" effort for a few weeks, as a zechus for someone.  I said okay, since I didn't want to be "poresh min ha'tzibbur" (exclude myself from what others were doing), but the truth is, I don't understand it.

That is, I understand that you commit to a specific period of time, say 10:00-12:00, in which to be careful in shemiras ha'lashon.  What I don't understand is, would they ask me to be careful in kashrus from 10:00-12:00? No.  How is shemiras ha'lashon different? We are obligated to be careful at all times.  Why would I designate a two hour time slot to observe this mitzva?

I can see that if someone is constantly talking lashon hara and they are trying to stop, that they might be advised to start small and make a two-hour time slot "lashon hara free."  But many of us are well aware of the laws of lashon hara and try to be careful.  I try to do this all the time.  Committing to a two-hour time slot doesn't feel like I'm doing anything at all since I do nothing special for those two hours. 

Oh well, may the good intention serve as a zechus regardless.

1 comment:

  1. I usually agree to do it some time when I am generally not in conversation. I guess that every hour that a person in not engaged in lashon hara is to his or her credit. Kashrus is very cut and dry but lashon hara is how we feel about people, our facial expressions when their names are mentioned, controlling our emotions about them, etc. It is immensely more challenging than other mitzvahs.

    ReplyDelete